A Virtual Private Network or VPN provides for a secure passage between your network to another network over the Internet. It is used to allow one to access region-restricted websites, hide your browsing activity from prying eyes, and more.
Initially, VPNs are created to securely connect business networks together over the Internet or to allow one to access a business network from home. That was basically its function for BUSINESS. At present, VPNs are popular no longer for the above mentioned reason.
VPNs technically forward your network traffic to another network. It is beneficial in the sense that it can allow you to access local network resources remotely and bypass Internet censorship. Most operating systems have now integrated VPN support.
What is a VPN?
Simply put, a VPN connects your PC, smartphone, or tablet to a server, which is another computer that then allows you to browse the Internet using the server’s internet connection. Hence, if that server is located in a different country, it will appear as if you are also located or coming from that country. In such away, you can now access things that normally you can not access.
How does a VPN help you?
Briefly, you can use a VPN to bypass geographic or region-restricted websites or streaming audio and video. You can also watch streaming media such as Netflix and Hulu. Will be able to protect yourself from prying eyes and from snooping around on untrustworthy Wi-Fi hotspots. You gain anonymity online by hiding your true and actual location. Finally, you will be able to protect yourself from being logged while using and downloading a torrent.
In order to watch content in a different country, a wide variety of people these days use a VPN for torrenting or bypassing geographic restrictions. VPNs prove to be efficient for protecting yourself while working at a common place like a coffee shop, or any area with a public network/ Wi-Fi.
Where can you get a VPN?
Getting a type of VPN basically depends on the needs of the user. You can use a VPN from your workplace, create your own VPN server, or host one from your home.
The simplest thing to do is to go to one of these websites, sign up and then download the VPN for your MAC, Windows PC, Android, iPhone, or iPad. Easy Peasy!
The following are:
- ExpressVPN– This server is easy to use, really fast, and supports stream media and torrenting for a cheap price.
- Tunnelbear– This VPN is also easy to use and has a limited free tier. However, this one is not so good with torrenting or streaming media.
- StrongVPN– This one is not as user friendly as that of the others, but this one can definitely perform better for torrenting and streaming media.
There are others who offer the same services, you just need to explore. For the above mentioned, all of them have an available free trial. You can try to explore them and can easily get your money back just in case you change your mind.
- Samsung pc suite for windows 7 ultimate free download
- Candy crush saga cheats unlimited moves
- How to play ps2 games on pc
- Malwarebytes premium key
How does it work?
When you connect a device or a computer to a VPN, the device acts as if it is on the same LAN or Local Area Network as the VPN. All network traffic is sent through a secure connection going to the VPN. Since your device works as if it is on the network of the VPN. This allows the user to securely access local network resources even when you are miles apart from the other device.
You will be able to use the web as if you were present at the location of the VPN, which is beneficial if you are using public WiFi or when you want to access geo blocked website.
When browsing through a VPN, the device contacts the website through an encrypted VPN connection. The VPN then forwards the request back to you from the website through the secure connection. Hence, if you are using a USA-based VPN to access Spotify or Netflix, Spotify or Netflix will see your connection as coming from within the USA.
Other examples of the uses for VPNs
VPNs can be used for a lot of things such as:
- Accessing a Business Network while traveling
- Accessing your Home Network while traveling- You can set up your own VPN to access your own network while traveling. This allows you to use local file shares and play games as if you are on the same LAN with your Home Network.
- Hiding browsing activity from local networks and ISPs- This is very useful when using public Wi-Fi.
- Accessing Geo-blocked websites (as explained in the example above).
- Bypassing Internet Censorship
- Downloading Files- This can be very helpful when downloading files from BitTorrent and other Torrent sites.
So this what a VPN does. They will be plenty of useful things that can be done with VPNs. We hope you like the article and willing to share the article with friends and families on social networking sites. If you have any questions or doubts regarding the VPN, you are free to ask your questions in the comment section below. Stay tuned to Basictricks for more useful and updated articles.