You might come across the error windows cannot be installed to this disk. This is one of the common errors that you might come across while you are installing the windows on your device.
What does the error windows cannot be installed on this disk mean? When you are trying to attempt to install windows 7, 8, 10 on your device. Many of the users who would like to reinstall, reboot, performing the clean installation, etc., might come across this issue.
If you are one who encountered this error windows cannot be installed on this disk. Then we have provided you the steps that help you to fix the issue that might come across.
How to Fix the Issue Windows Cannot Be Installed to This Disk
If you are encountering the error windows cannot be installed to this disk, then the disk that has been chosen is the GPT partition style, so you have to find out whether your BIOS has the legacy mode that is available and if it exists then you have to need to convert the drive.
Find out Bios Setup
Here we have to provide you the steps to set up the Bios on your device, that help you to fix the issue. Follow the given below steps to do so.
- First, reboot your device.
- Continuously click on the BIOS key. Now, manually you will locate which key is in your motherboard.
- This step is quite tricky, here you have to head through the bios until you have located the option that gives the details of the boot mode. You will mostly found this option under the “Boot” tab, which conveys that in which mode you are in.
- If you are in a Legacy mode so that you will not find the option UEFI. Therefore, you need to change the GPT partition to the MBR partition table.
- If you have found the option UEFI, choose it and then save the changes. Finally, you have to install the windows on your desired hard drive.
If this method doesn’t help you to fix the error, then try to perform another troubleshooting method that helps you to fix the issue the selected disk is of the gpt partition style.
Convert the MBR to GPT With No Loss of Data
This requires that your system disk should be the GPT partition if the error states that the windows are booted in the UEFI mode. The disk that you have selected is the GPT partition style then you have to convert the MBR disk to the GPT.
Therefore, it suggested using the non-data-destroying method to convert the MBR disk to the GPT with the help of the EaseUs partition master, which is the most powerful drive that helps you to convert the MBR to the GPT without any loss of the data. Here we have provided you the steps to do so.
- First, you have to select and right-click on the GPT drive that you would like to change and choose “Convert to MBR”.
- Now, click on the “Execute Operation” button which is located at the top-left corner.
- Next, you need to click on the “Apply” button to convert the GPT disk to the MBR.
When you have done with this, check if the error windows cannot be installed on this disk. the selected disk is of the gpt partition style is fixed or not.
Reformating the Drive Change the MBR Drive to the GPT
You might come across the error windows cannot be installed to this disk gpt, when you are trying to install the windows. Moreover, you have to wipe the drive manually and then you have to convert it to the GPT to perform this troubleshooting method.
So, you need to backup your data as the formatting of the drive might delete all the data. Follow the given below methods to convert the MBR drive to the GPT.
- First, you need to shut down your system.
- Now, put in the Installation of the windows DVD and USB.
- From your DVD or USB boot your System.
- Now, in the windows setup, you have to click on the “Shift + F10” button simultaneously to open the command prompt.
- Enter the following commands in the specific order that we have mentioned
- Next, exit the command prompt.
- Now, continue with the windows installation.
After you have done with this, the drive will appear and the single area of the unallocated space. Here, you have to select the unallocated space and click on Next. Now, the windows will install without any error message.
Boot to UEFI Mode
The troubleshooting method is not applicable to all computers, as the firmware with both the UEFI and BIOS Compitable is not found in Few computers. There you will some of the exceptions, though most of the computers are having the windows have the UEFI-based motherboard with the legacy BIOS-Compatibility mode.
The windows Legacy BIOS mode and the latest surface pros allow only the UEFI mode is supported by Windows 7.
When you receive the error windows cannot be installed to this disk then the selected disk should be of the GPT partition style. And moreover, it is recommended that your PC should have to boot present in the legacy BIOS. First, you have to check if the firmware supports the UEFI in the BIOS to boot the UEFI, and then you have to change to it if the mode is available. To do so follow the given below steps.
- Shut Down your PC.
- Switch on your PC. Once you have view the Windows Logo on the screen. Now, press the BIOS key that varies for the devices be Esc, F1, F2, F10, F11, F12, to get into the BIOS.
- Now, select and enter the boot tab, with the help of the Arrow.
- Then, to select the UEFI, use the down arrow key.
- Next, all the changes and quit the BIOS.
- Now, head with the Windows Installation.
In some of the computers, you might not found the UEFI mode, which implies that your computer allows only the BIOS mode. Therefore, in such cases, you can only able to change the GPT to the MBR to fix the issue windows cannot be installed to this disk MBR.
You might have to use either UEFI-GPT or the BIOS-MBR are the methods of booting. You have to be noted that the installation with the use of the MBR and GPT depends on the firmware. If you have any doubts regarding the windows that cannot be installed on this disk, then let us know in the comment section. Stay tuned to Basictricks for more updates.